The Bakery Bible: 3 MUST HAVE recipes for this February!



As this isn't just a beauty blog, sometimes I have to stop myself and let the makeup take a back seat (sorry makeup) in order to talk to you about what I've been loving within other parts of my life. 

Hence why, for today's post, I'm going to be sharing with you 3 essential recipes that get me through that chilly Winter to Spring transition; these are some of my ultimate favourite treats to bake and they are much loved by family and friends.

All 3 recipes originate from my two favourite bakery bibles: Bake Like The Best and 1001 Cupcakes, Cookies & Other Tempting Treats. I've owned both of these books for a good few years now and have been using them avidly, especially during Winter; surely I'm not the only one that craves a warm chocolate chip cookie from time to time?

Anyhow, I highly recommend these two baking books to anyone that's interested; there are thousands more amazing recipes to discover within the pages of these gems.


Without further ado, I bring you 4 delicious recipes to satisfy your sweet tooth this February. Enjoy!



Rocky Mountain Cupcakes (1001 Cupcakes, Cookies & Other Tempting Treats)

Ingredients:
  • 140g/5oz butter, softened, or soft margarine
  • 140g/5oz caster sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 150g/5.5oz self-raising flour
  • 55g/2oz cocoa powder
Topping
  • Chocolate buttercream icing (This can be pre-bought to make this recipe easier)
  • 85g/3oz mini marshmallows
  • 40g/1.5oz walnuts, roughly chopped
  • 55g/2oz milk chocolate or plain chocolate, broken into pieces

Method:
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C/ 350 degrees F/ Gas Mark 4. Line a 12 hole muffin tin with 10 paper cases. Place the butter and sugar in a large bowl and beaut together until light and fluffy, then beat in the vanilla extract. Gradually beat in the eggs. Sift the flour and cocoa powder together and fold into the mixture. Spoon the mixture into the paper cases.

Bake in the preheated oven for 20 - 25 minutes, or until golden and springy to the touch. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

To decorate, pipe the buttercream icing on top of each cake to form a peak in the centre. Mix the marshmallows and walnuts together and divide among the cakes, then press down lightly. Place the chocolate in a heat proof bowl, set the bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water and heat until melted. Drizzle over the tops of the cakes and leave to set.


Madeleines (1001 Cupcakes, Cookies & Other Tempting Treats)

     Ingredients:
  • 140g/5oz butter, plus extra for greasing
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 140g/5oz caster sugar
  • 140g/5oz plain flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
Method:

190 degrees C/375 degrees F/Gas Mark 5. Lightly grease 30 holes in 3 standard sized madeleine tins. Place the butter in a saucepan and heat until melted, then leave to cool.

Place the eggs, egg yolk, vanilla extract and sugar in a large bowl and whisk until very pale and thick. Sift the flour and baking powder and fold in, then fold in the melted butter. Spoon the mixture into the tins.

Bake in the preheated oven for 8 - 10 minutes or until risen and golden brown. Remove the cakes carefully from the tins and leave to cool on a wire rack. They are best served the day they're made.


Chocolate Chip Cookies (Bake Like The Best)

Ingredients:


  • 125g/4.5oz soft margarine, plus extra for greasing
  • 175g/6oz plain flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 85g/3oz light muscovado sugar
  • 5 tablespoons caster sugar
  • half a teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 egg
  • 125g/4.5oz dark chocolate chips
Method:

Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C/375 degrees F/Gas Mark 5. Lightly grease two baking sheets.
Place all of the ingredients into a large mixing bowl and beat until well combined.

Place tablespoonfuls of the mixture onto the baking sheets, spacing them well apart to allow for spreading during cooking.

Bake in the preheated oven for 10 - 12 minutes or until the cookies are golden brown. Using a palette knife, transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely before serving.


And there we have it! Three amazing and truly simple recipes that genuinely turn out some great bakes to warm up your spirits and your stomach. As stated at the beginning, all credit for these recipes go to the creators of these two formidable books; I don't know what I'd do without them.

Thank you so much for reading, I really hope you decide to try some of these recipes out in your own time, and if you do, let me know how you found them. What was the last thing you tried baking and was it any good? Let me know in the comments section and of course follow and subscribe by email for more! 

Until next time,
Marina Rosie x 

16 comments

  1. Are the cookies, the crispy kind or the chewy kind?
    Aleeha xXx
    http://www.halesaaw.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heya Aleeha, thanks for reading lovely! The texture of the cookies is actually quite flexible to be honest; bake for 10 minutes to retain that chewy centre but if you continue on up until 12 minutes and beyond (if needs be) you can achieve that crispy, crunchy kind of texture. Which is your fave?
      Lots of love,
      Marina Rosie xxx

      Delete
  2. Wow, those madeleines look really delicious, except I don't have a madeleine tin! Should probably go out and get one lol, really interesting post, I will definitely be trying a couple of these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heya, thanks for reading Leyla, I do hope you try them out; I can assure you, they're utterly delicious! And yes, you never know when a shell shaped madeleine tin will come in handy! x
      Lots of love,
      Marina Rosie xx

      Delete
  3. I agree- everyone craves for a cookie once in a while, right? This is super helpful, in particular to my own blog. I'm definitely striving to vary my recipes and experiment new recipes and cookbooks(I genuinely mean that). Therefore, thanks for sharing your Baking Bibles!

    #sweetreats xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya, so glad someone agrees! x (cookies are EVERYTHING) Thank you so much, I'm glad I could be of help to you for your blog lovely, in fact, I'm going to go and have a read now! x Thanks for reading, hope to see you back here soon,
      Lots of love,
      Marina Rosie x

      Delete
  4. Right, now I defo need to get my baking act on, these recipes look and sound amazing!
    Have a great week :)

    Trishna xx

    tipscapsule.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are honestly so delicious and simple! I'm really glad you enjoyed! Happy baking and let me know how it goes,
      Lots of love,
      Marina Rosie xx

      Delete
  5. I am not into baking but I am into eating! I'm sure I will love these!

    Xeph | Engineer Xeph

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, trust me, you definitely will; they're scrumptious! Thanks so much for reading,
      lots of love,
      Marina Rosie xx

      Delete
  6. Ah! Bookmarking this wonderful post for sure! I have a pretty decent cookie recipe but will be trying this one out. The Madeleines though.....will be getting a shell tray soon xxx
    Sal | UmmBaby Beauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe, I'm so glad you enjoyed this post! The cookie recipe is definitely one of my faves; I honestly SWEAR by it! And yes, the shell trays are incredibly useful; you always think you'll never use it more than once but, trust me, you do! Thanks so much for reading sal! xxx
      Lots of love,
      Marina Rosie xxx

      Delete
  7. Love them all! I can't even pick which recipe to try first. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those Madeleines were my childhood favorite!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment - I do my utmost to read and reply to every single one of them.